Inventors Industry Impact Sign Up for Tech Alert

Disclosures: Inventions & Trademarks

A trademark disclosure must be submitted before a trademark application can be filed. A trademark is any word, phrase, logo, or combination thereof, to identify the source of goods or services of one business from those of another. The purpose of this process is to provide the University with information regarding proposed trademarks so that the mark may be evaluated to determine whether the University can protect a proposed mark.

An invention disclosure must be submitted before a patent application can be filed. Once submitted to the TC Office, the invention can be evaluated for commercial potential and patent viability.

You can find the invention disclosure form linked here. Please fill out, print, and submit this form via campus mail to Pati Spotts, Technology Commercialization, 5th floor Byrnes Building.

Agreements: Confidentiality & Material Transfers

The Confidentiality Disclosure Agreement (CDA, a.k.a. non-disclosure agreement or NDA) is used to protect the confidentiality of an invention during the licensing process. A one-way CDA is an agreement which allows only one party (either the inventor or the licensee) to restrict confidential information from the other party. A two-way CDA (often called a "mutual" CDA or NDA) is one in which both parties are exchanging confidential information and neither party may infringe on the confidentiality of the other party.

The Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) governs the transfer of tangible materials (such as reagents, plasmids, chemical compounds, or certain types of software) between the provider and receiver of the materials. Material transfer may occur between the University and a company, between a company and the University, or between the University and another academic institution.

Both of these forms can be obtained by contacting Tiffany Beverly in the TCO office at or (803) 777-5406.

More detailed instructions on filling out these forms can be viewed here.